CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program

CELPIP has three different tests. You must take the “CELPIP-General 2014” test to support your immigration application.

If you took the test before April 1, 2014, you would have had to take the “CELPIP-General (CELPIP-G)” test.

Note: As of April 1, 2014, you must take the “CELPIP-General 2014” test. The CELPIP-General 2014 scoring grid is different from the CELPIP-G test (see below).

IELTS: International English Language Testing System

IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests: “General Training” and “Academic.” You must take the “General Training” option.


TEF: Test d’évaluation de français

You must submit results from these TEF tests as proof of your French language skills:

  1. compréhension de l’écrit
  2. compréhension de l’orale
  3. expression écrite
  4. expression orale


An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one.

Designated organizations for ECAs

You can get your assessment from: