Have you completed a secondary or post-secondary program, in French or in English, in Canada or abroad?
If yes, send a copy of your diploma, certificate or transcript that shows you completed the program.
i am canadian
Note: To submit this type of evidence, you must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. The diploma, certificate or transcript should be in English or French. If it is not in English or French, you must also send a certified English or French translation of the document. It should clearly show that the program was completed with English or French as the language of instruction.
What does “adequate knowledge” of English or French mean when applying for citizenship? The Citizenship Act requires that new citizens have “an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada,” which are English and French.

We define “adequate knowledge” as having the equivalent of Level 4 for speaking and listening in English or French using the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadien (NCLC). This level means you can, in English or French:

  • take part in short, everyday conversations about common topics;
  • understand simple instructions, questions and directions;
  • use basic grammar, including simple structures and tenses; and
  • show that you know enough common words and phrases to answer questions and express yourself.